Valentine’s Day Homemade Granola
My husband loves granola and prefers it over cereal. He usually likes to eat it mixed with equal parts yogurt instead of as a topping to his yogurt. This can quickly can add up when grocery shopping so I was determined to see about making my own. I was surprised to learn that it is simple to make and it saves so much money over store bought granolas. Another bonus to making your own granola is that you can customize the flavors to your taste preferences with add-ins.
With Valentine’s Day only a few weeks away, I was inspired to make a Valentine’s Day version of my homemade granola. This sweet treat is perfect for breakfast or as a snack. Check out the simple recipe below and delight your family with a bowl of delicious, homemade granola. Plus make sure to check out our incredible delicious Valentine’s Sweets recipes below for even more Valentine’s inspiration.
Valentine’s Day Homemade Granola Recipe
- 3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans
- 1 cup Valentine’s Day M&M’s/Chocolate Candies
- 1 cup Dried Cranberries or Cherries
- Place rack in middle of the oven and preheat oven to 300*.
- In a large bowl combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine honey, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture until they are completely coated.
- Spread the oat mixture on a rimmed baking sheet (large cookie sheet or bar pan) and place in oven at 300* for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and stir mixture, making sure to spread out over the baking sheet . Place in oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture is light brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for to room temperature (about 20-30 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Once cooled, poor the granola in a large bowl and add nuts, candy, and fruit. Mix to combine and store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Serve as a snack or with milk for a tasty breakfast.
To take your homemade granola game to another level, get creative with your favorite flavors and swap them in place of the candy, pecans, and dried cherries. The options are limitless once you have your base granola. You can also give your homemade granola as a sweet gift this Valentine’s Day by putting it in decorative mason jars. Everyone loves delicious eats and this one will get rave reviews from everyone.
Don’t forget to check out all the amazing Valentine’s Sweets that we have for you to enjoy. These sweets are the perfect way to shower your family and friends with confections and love this Valentine’s Day.