I received a free Nectar Sleep Memory Foam Mattress. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
How to Make a Platform Bed for a Memory Foam Mattress
Given that the average person spends 1/3 of their life sleeping or in bed, it is important to make sure that you have a comfortable mattress. NECTAR Memory Foam Mattresses are designed for better sleep with temperature control technology, medium firm memory foam to provide support, and a bedbug resistant cover. These are all great features in a mattress, so I was excited when they reached out and wanted to send a memory foam mattress for my family to try out.
We decided to put the new mattress in my daughter’s room and move her old bed to our guest room. The only downside was we did not have an extra frame. Since NECTAR memory foam mattresses are designed to work on all bed types, my husband volunteered to build her a platform bed. The cost to build one was cheaper than store bought and it allowed him to customize it to her preferences. Her customized bed include LED lights mounted to the underside of the bed for room lighting and it is tall enough to accommodate plastic storage containers.
The platform bed works well the new memory foam mattress and allows her to enjoy the full benefits of a mattress from NECTAR. After sleeping on the bed for only one night, she felt a difference in the support and noticed that it did not “sink in” after laying there all night. This is thanks to the five layers used to create this memory foam mattress. The five layers that comprise the mattress include:
- Breathable Base Layer – Serves as a stable foundation and support for the other layers.
- Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam – This recovery foam supports the body and bounces back after use.
- Gel Memory Foam – Delivers weight distribution and relief from pressure.
- Quilted Gel Memory Foam – Allows for air circulation and contours to the body.
- Tencel Cooling Cover – Wicks heat away from the body, promotes air circulation and is bedbug resistant.
I tried the mattress out for a few nights and could tell the difference compared to other memory foam mattresses that I have slept on. You don’t need to worry about purchasing a mattress online without trying it because NECTAR offers a 365 day Home Trial. With free shipping and hassle-free returns, there is no risk involved with purchasing your new mattress from NECTAR. All you need to do is unpack your mattress, place it on your bed frame and start enjoying a great night’s sleep.
Build your own platform bed frame for your memory foam mattress with the simple instructions and supply list below.
How to Make a Platform Bed
Measurements are based on an average queen sized bed of 60 inches by 80 inches. Double check the measurement of your mattress before cutting and allow for any variations. You can also adapt the size of the platform for any size mattress by adjusting the lengths of your boards.
- 10 – 2 in. x 4 in. x 96 in. boards
- 4 – 1 in. x 6 in. x 96 in. boards
- 1 – 4 in. x 4 in. x 96 in. boards
- 24 – 1 in. x 3 in. x 96 in. Furring Strips
- 50 – 3 inch wood screws (inner frame and legs)
- 10 – 2 inch wood screws (outer frame)
- 48 – 1 inch wood screws (Furirng strips)
- 1 in. Nylon Strap – 14 feet long
- Staple Gun and Staples
- Wood Stain or Paint
- Cut 2 x 4’s down into the following lengths
- 2 pieces 57 inches long
- 2 pieces 77 inches long
- 2 pieces 80 inches long
- 4 pieces for support legs based on your desired height for the bed.
- Cut 1 x 6’s down into the following lengths (at a 45 degree angle)
- 2 pieces 82 3/4 inches long
- 2 pieces 61 3/4 inches long
- Cut the 4 x 4 down into four legs based on your desired height for the bed.
- Cut the 1 x 3 furring strips down to 60 inches each.
- Cut the nylon strap into 2 – 80 inch pieces.
- Stain (or Paint) all 1″ x 6″ pieces and 4″ x 4″ pieces. Let dry, while you are assembling the inner frame.
- To form the inner frame support, place the 57 inch 2 x 4 against the inside of the 80 inch 2 x 4 (See picture below) and secure with 2 – 3″ wood screws.
- Secure the other 80 inch 2 x 4 using the same method to the other side of the 57 inch piece.
- Secure the other 57 inch 2 x 4 to the other end using the same method.
- Place the 77 inch 2 x 4 pieces into the center of the frame and secure with 2 – 3″ wood screws on each side. Place each board 24 inches in from the outer board. (See completed image below.)
- Secure two support legs toward the center of the center boards using 3 inch screws. (See image)
- Once the stain has dried you can begin to assemble the 1 x 6 pieces to the inner frame to form the outside of the platform bed using 2 inch wood screws. Secure one piece at a time and make sure to just the next piece up against the 45 degree angle to complete the corner. (See image below.)
- Attach the 4 x 4 legs to the inner frame by countersinking 4 – 3 inch wood screws per leg.
- Attach furring strips width wise across the inner bed frame and secure with 1 inch wood screws. Space them equally apart for maximum support. (See image below)
- Staple nylon straps to the furring strips. Do one on each half of the bed frame. (See image below)
- Once the bed frame is in the desired room, place mattress on the bed frame and cover with sheets and comforter.
The NECTAR memory foam mattress comes shipped in a protective bag that is around a reusable bag with carrying handles. Once you open the reusable bag, the memory foam mattress is rolled up and shrink wrapped. It comes with an opener to easily slice open the plastic wrap. Let it air out for a few hours and the mattress will take on its full size.
My daughter has been sleeping on the NECTAR memory foam mattress for over one month and wakes up rested and without any aches that she experienced with her old bed. It has never had any areas that were “caved in” from sleeping in the same position or sitting in bed for a few hours. The top layer provides a soft cushion under the sheets to keep her cool and comfortable all night long. We are so impressed with the mattress, that we will be purchasing a NECTAR memory foam mattress for ourselves when it is time to replace our bed.
Get started on your way to a good night’s sleep by purchasing your Nectar Sleep Mattress.
To learn more about Nectar Sleep visit them online.