This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Review Wire Media for BlindSpotz.
How to Save Money on Energy Bills
After paying for mortgage/rent each month, energy bills are the next highest housing expense. Energy bills are not optional and at times can feel like they are draining every last cent from your bank account. However, there are ways to save money on your energy bills and make your home energy efficient. These energy savings tips are important to implement no matter the age of your home. From new builds to fixer uppers, it is important to make sure that you are saving money in every area of your home that you can.
Simple Tips to Save Money on Energy Bills
- Use a Programmable Thermostat – Program the thermostat to lower/raise the temperature in your own when you are not home or at night when you are sleeping (dependent on the season.) This also allows you to program the temperature in your home when you are away for long periods of time.
- Use Smaller Appliances to Reheat Food – Don’t heat up your oven to reheat leftovers instead use your microwave, air fryer, or toaster oven which use less energy and do the same job.
- Keep Vents Unblocked – Make sure that heating/cooling vents are not blocked by furniture or other items.
- Close Doors/Vents Not In Use – If there are rooms in your house that you are not using, close the vents in these rooms and shut the door to prevent your house from heating/cooling those areas.
- Close Fireplace and Flue – When not using your fireplace make sure that the flue is closed and the fireplace is blocked off to prevent cold air from coming in. This also applies to warmer air in the summer months.
- Install a Water Heater Blanket – For water heaters that are older than 5 years, install a water heater blanket to help preserve the temperature of the water.
- Sleep with a Heating Blanket – Instead of increasing the temperature of your thermostat in the winter to stay warm at night, use a heating blanket and lower the thermostat at night.
- Upgrade Appliances and/or Unplug Old Appliances – If you have a second refrigerator/freezer that you rarely use unplug it when not in use. If finances allow, replace old appliances with new energy savings options.
- Keep You Attic Well Insulated – Make sure that your attic is well insulated to prevent heat from leaving during the winter. It also helps to keep cool air inside and stop the outer temps from coming in. Depending on the insulation type it is recommended to have 10-14 inches of insulation.
- Use Natural Sunlight to Warm Rooms – During cooler months, open blinds in rooms to allow the sun to warm up those rooms without raising the thermostat. Make sure to close blinds in sunny rooms doing summer months to insure that the room doesn’t get to warm.
- Check for cold spots with BlindSpotz – BlindSpotz Cold Sensors help you detect and fix cold spots in your home without spending a large amount of money for energy audits. BlindSpotz cost only $9.99 for a package of 8 sensors compared to a home energy audit cost of $300-$500. BlindSpotz are easy to use and allow you to use them when it is the best time to measure how energy efficient your home is (at night or on colder days.)
To see how easy it is to use BlindSpotz to help you reduce your energy bills check out the video below.
When considering where to place your BlindSpotz cold spot sensors make sure you place them throughout your home. Place them on outside walls, doors, electrical outlets, windows, closets, and ceilings. If you have a large home you may want to consider using a second pack of sensors to insure that you are checking all the places that could cause an increase in your energy bills.
Once the sensors have been on for 48 hours, you will receive a reading and any that indicate a cold spot should be photographed and emailed to BlindSpotz so you can receive tips on how to fix the problem. Check out the image below to see how to easy it is to tell normal sensors from those that signify problems to be fixed. Each pack of BlindSpotz sensors includes this information you have it with you when reading your sensors.
Use these tips to ensure that you are saving the most money on your energy bills and making your home as energy efficient as possible.
You can purchase an 8 pack of BlindSpotz for only $9.99 with free shipping (for Prime Members) on Amazon.
February 19, 2018 – February 28th, 2018 , 18+ US only
3 Winners will receive a pack of BlindSpotz valued at $9.99.
Giveaway runs from 2/19 – 2/28 at 11:59 PM EST. 3 winners will be drawn and have 48 hours to respond to winner confirmation email in order to claim their prize or a new winner will be drawn. If you have won the same prize on another blog, you will not be eligible to win it again.