This information is brought to you by Inevifit. All opinions are my own.
How to Keep Your Family Healthy During Back to School Season
One of my worst fears when my daughter went back to public school was the increased potential for catching illnesses that circulate between students. Since her diagnosis of fibromyalgia last year, we have worked hard to keep her healthy and found that making a few simple changes to our lifestyle can make a huge difference in having a healthy school year versus an unhealthy school year.
We have teamed up with INEVIFIT to share some simple tips so that you and your family can have the healthiest school year possible. Check out all these tips and the products we use to help us stay on track on all year long.
Tips for a Healthy School Year
- Set a Realistic Schedule – To many times we forget that everyone needs downtime and fill our calendars with activities, appointments, and school functions. As important as these activities are, it is important to also schedule downtime for the whole family. Aim for no more than two extracurricular activities per person at time and make sure to include any commitments that your family has at church or work in this limit. Also plan for at least one “no-distraction”/”no-device” family night a month. These rules need to apply to the parents as well as the children. Watch a movie, play a game, or enjoy a home-cooked meal together connecting and touching base.
- Eat Whole Fruits and Vegetables – In a busy schedule we often turn to sugary drinks or juices to fill our daily quotas of fruits and vegetables but it is important to get these essential vitamins and minerals from the fruits and vegetables themselves. Stock up each week with a variety of fruits and vegetables so that your family has their favorites on hand when they get peckish. If time is a concern, invest the few extra dollars in pre-sliced, pre-cut fruits and vegetables.
- Keep Portions Appropriate – In a “super-size” society we often forget what an actual serving size really looks like. It is important to make sure that we are not overindulging and an easy way to do that is with a kitchen food scale. Use a food scale to measure out your portions before eating, packing lunches, or even when meal planning. My favorite kitchen scale is the Digital Kitchen Scale from INEVIFIT. Its slim size makes storing it in the kitchen cupboard a breeze and the backlit LCD screen means even when sneaking a late night snack it is easy to see what I am measuring. Discover more great aspects of the INEVIFIT Digital Kitchen Scale below.
- Get Active – Spending time being active is often pushed to the side due to all the scheduling hassles of the Back to School Season. However, it is important to make sure that everyone is engaging in a form of physical activity at least 30 minutes, 3 times a week. Take nightly walks together as a family, play basketball in the driveway, or spend some time at the local pool doing laps. However, your family likes to stay active is up to you as long as you make times to do it.
- Drink Plenty of Water – Hydration is important for keeping your body functioning properly and often times we forget to drink water like we should. Encourage your children to drink water with meals instead of juices, sodas, or teas. You can also offer small incentives to the family member who drinks their recommended water amount daily. An interactive water bottle like this one from Gululu is a fun way to encourage kids and track how much they are drinking.
- Meal Plan for Busy Days – Make sure you don’t end up going “What’s For Dinner?” at dinnertime by planning your meals ahead of time. This looks different for each family but a simple way is to make a list of meals for the week and insure you have the ingredients you need for each meal. That way you can look each night and decide what you are making the next day and know you have everything you need. For nights that you will be extremely busy take time to prepare dinner the night before and separate them out in meal containers each family member can heat as needed the next night. The 3 compartment food containers by INEVIFIT have plenty of space for a full meal and are made of durable BPA-Free materials. They can be heated in the microwave and washed in the dishwasher so you reduce the amount of dishes. They can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer for storing your meals until the family needs them.
- Reduce Screen Time – Insure that your children are getting enough rest by cutting out screen time close to bed time and early in the mornings. Encourage reading books, prepping for the next day, and spending family time in place of watching television, playing video games, texting, and/or spending time online.
- Get Enough Sleep – Make sure that every one gets enough sleep by setting up bedtimes that work for them. Since my daughter has fibromyalgia and takes multiple medications, we have found that even at 14 she needs 10 hours of sleep each night. Some kids may require more or less than their peers so make sure to do what works best for your family.
- Wash Your Hands – One of the easiest ways to stop the spread of germs is by washing our hands. In situations were you do not have access to soap and water, using hand sanitizer is a good substitute. Make sure to wash your hands before and after meals, after using the bathroom, when spending time shaking hands or in large crowds, and other places where germs are common. If you are not feeling well make sure you are not only washing your hands but avoid shaking others hands.
These tips are easy to implement and your family will be thankful for them as they work on staying healthy through the busy school year. Within a few weeks of implementing them you will find that they become second nature and an important part of your daily life. Remember that it is okay to do what works best for your family and do not worry about what others may think or do. You do you and let them do them. Enjoy the school year and remember summer will come around again.
To learn more about the INEVIFIT Digital Kitchen Scale check out these handy features below and then head on over to purchase yours and start working on your portion sizes today.
- SIMPLE & CONVENIENT: Weighing foods and small items should be hassle free, so we have implemented smart features like Auto-Off (battery saving), Tare Function (zeroing for net weight), Units Conversion (grams, ounces, pounds, pounds: ounces and milliliters), and even a Low Battery Indicator to simply its use.
- FROM THE KITCHEN TO EVERYDAY LIFE: Besides being a must for recipes and portion control, the Multifunction capabilities allow you measure liquid volumes (ml) and even postage outside the kitchen. Only the best quality materials have been utilized to make it durable for daily use and easy to clean.
- BE PROUD OF YOUR NEW DIGITAL SCALE: We have designed its sleek & elegant look right here in Southern California, and have used a larger backlit LCD display to allow for easy reading. Thanks to our fine craftsmanship and upgraded sensor it can now weigh up to 13 lbs (6 kg) in precise 0.04 oz ( 1g) increments.
- UNRIVALED CUSTOMER SERVICE: The INEVIFIT Kitchen Scale comes with 24/7 real USA customer support and our products include the industry leading 5-year manufacturer’s warranty. You can rest assured that you will be 100% satisfied with the INEVIFIT experience.