Hearty Purple Cabbage Soup
I love a good bowl of cabbage soup and hate paying for something that is simple to make at home. Plus the aroma that the soup gives off while it is cooking is simply divine. I like my food to be colorful and have found that using purple cabbage makes it look even more tantalizing. This purple cabbage soup recipe can easily be made in a slow cooker/crockpot for days when you want a meal to be ready when you get home or you can cook it in a pot on the stove. Serve this as either a starter for your meal or your main dish and the family will go wild.
Delicious Purple Cabbage Soup Recipe
2 heads of purple cabbage (you can also substitute green for 1 of the heads.)
2 large cans of Diced Tomatoes (I used Red Gold Diced Tomatoes with Garlic and Olive Oil)
3 peppers (I like to use a variety of green, orange and yellow)
4 stalks of celery
3 cloves of garlic, minced
5 Tbsps of olive oil
4 quarts of chicken or vegetable broth (I make mine with bouillon or soup base and water.)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dice carrots, onion, celery into 1 inch pieces.
- Dice cabbage and peppers into 2 inch pieces.
- Heat a large stock pot on medium heat, then combine olive oil, onion, carrot, and celery.
- Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and then add minced garlic.
- Continue cooking on medium for 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage,peppers and tomatoes and cook until the cabbage is wilted.
- Pour in chicken or vegetable broth and simmer 45- 60 minutes on low heat.
**If cooking the purple cabbage soup in the slow cooker, at Step 7 – combine the ingredients from the pot with the cabbage and tomatoes in the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours. **