Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins
My family loves when I get in the mood to bake and they fight over who gets to be the official taste testers. This weekend I was in the creative mood and was trying to decide what to share for today’s recipe in our 14 Days of Valentine’s Sweets. I decided to combine my daughter’s two favorite flavors, Cherry and Chocolate, to create these amazing Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins. The fun part in creating this recipe was that I was able to make them pink in honor of Valentine’s Day.
This recipe is a great way to get kids involved in the kitchen as there are many simple steps they can do including chopping, slicing, and mixing. This is a great option for you or your child to take to work/school for Valentine’s Day to treat everyone you know. Whether you are making these in full muffin size or as mini-muffins, everyone will love the delicious combination of cherry and chocolate.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 16 ounce maraschino cherries, drained and diced
- Red Food Coloring (optional to create the pink color)
- Preheat oven to 400* and place liners or grease the wells of the muffin/cupcake pans.
- Combine the first four ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Add in a few drops of red food coloring to create the shade you want. It will seem a little dry but will get thinner once the cherries are added.
- Fold in cherries and chocolate chips to the muffin mixture.
- Fill the greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
***Makes 24 regular sized muffins or 48 mini muffins.***
If you want to add some extra deliciousness to these Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins, add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts or top with an easy cherry glaze by combining the cherry juice and powdered sugar.
Don’t forget to check out all the amazing Valentine’s Sweets that we have for you to enjoy. These sweets are the perfect way to shower your family and friends with confections and love this Valentine’s Day.