Courtesy of Seriously Good Freezer Meals: 150 Easy Recipes to Save Your Time, Money & Sanity by Karrie Truman © 2017 www.robertrose.ca Available where books are sold.
Image credit: Charity Burggraaf
Blueberry Orange Smoothie Kits – Freezer Meal Recipe Idea
I love meal planning and with the school year right around the corner, I am trying to up my freezer meal game and the Seriously Good Freezer Meals cookbook by Karrie Truman has 150 recipes that will readers save time, money and my favorite sanity! She shows how that even when you are short on time you can still eat healthy meals with just a little preparation.
One of my favorite breakfasts and snacks is a smoothie and Karrie shares her Blueberry Orange Smoothie Kits in the cookbook. They are a perfect way to take advantage of the summer fruit bounty and enjoy them in the off months. The cookbook recipes contain step-by-step directions and there is even a mini-starter program for beginners and one for intermediate meal planners. Get the Blueberry Orange Smoothie Kit recipe and then purchase her cookbook for even more great freezer meal planning.
Blueberry Orange Smoothie Kit
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) frozen orange juice concentrate, partially thawed
- 1/2 banana
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- In a small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, vanilla and orange juice. Pour 1 tbsp (15 mL) each into 8 cups of an ice-cube tray. Freeze for about 2 hours, until solid.
- Meanwhile, slice banana into 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) slices and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for about 2 hours, until solid.
Make It Now Place the 8 orange juice cubes, frozen blueberries and frozen banana pieces into a blender. Add water. Blend on High until smooth. Add more water if necessary to get desired consistency. Pour into 2 glasses and serve cold.
Make It a Freezer Meal Place the 8 orange juice cubes, frozen blueberries and frozen banana pieces in a labeled quart-size (1 L) freezer bag. Seal, removing as much air as possible, and freeze.
Make the Smoothies Add contents of freezer bag and water to blender. Blend on High until smooth. Add more water if necessary to get desired consistency. Pour into 2 glasses and serve cold.
Makes 2 servings