This post is sponsored by Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Avocado and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
May is National Egg Month and that makes it a great time to remind everyone how eggs can be part of a healthy diet. For years, we have watched as the medical community went back and forth on the subject of eggs being healthy vs. not being healthy. However according to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, consuming eggs is recommended in all three of their model diets.
Unfortunately, the FDA has not updated its definition of “healthy” to include eggs even though it currently includes foods such as low-fat toaster pastries and sugary cereals. That is why recently Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs filed a petition and are pushing for the FDA to label eggs as healthy. You can learn more learn more about this campaign on their website at eggsarehealthy.com and by following the hashtag #EggsAreHealthy online.
I agree with Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs and feel that eggs should be a part of every balanced diet. That is why I love to enjoy eggs as a part of a delicious breakfast. I am always looking for ways to bring together incredible flavors at breakfast and recently created a scrumptious Avocado and Egg Breakfast Sandwich. It pairs perfectly with a tasty Summer Fruit Salad and was an immediate mealtime hit with the family.
While learning more about the #EggsAreHealthy campagin, I learned how important it is to eat certified organic eggs like the eggs sold from Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs and Nellie’s Free Range Eggs. As Certified Humane, Free Range eggs, the hens are free to roam outside, peck at the ground, dustbathe and act like real hens. Living in the country, I have been lucky to have friends with their own free-range chickens and they like to bestow fresh eggs on our family. If you don’t have access to such friends, you will want to see why you should choose organic, humane, free-range eggs when you grocery shop.
When it comes to eggs it can be hard to understand how they can be organic but it all goes back to how the hens are treated. Organic Eggs boast these four benefits.
Conventionally-raised hens living in tiny, disease-prone spaces are usually treated with “preventive” antibiotics. All our small family farmers follow the strictest standards of humane animal treatment. Our free range hens reside in a safe, comfortable environment so that they can live a happy and healthy life.
No chemical pesticides
Conventional growers usually treat their crops with toxic chemicals to ward off pests and diseases, which can end up in the eggs their hens lay. Organic growers use only natural, organic deterrents to pests on their crops. So the only thing that’s in your organic, free range egg is a naturally delicious free range taste.
USDA Certified Organic
Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs are USDA Certified Organic.
Going organic is better for our environment. Organic farming practices focus on reducing pollution, maintaining healthy soil, and conserving water and other precious resources. These mindful steps help ensure our children, and generations to come, will continue to have safe food and a healthy planet to live on.
Now that you know what kind of eggs are best for you and your family, you will want to use these eggs to create a delicious breakfast and we suggest our Avocado and Egg Breakfast Sandwich.
Avocado and Egg Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
- 6 Ciabatta Rolls
- 1 Dozen Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs
- 12 slices Munster Cheese (or your favorite flavor)
- 12 ounces Ham Slices or Bacon
- 1 – 2 Ripe Avocados
- Cut the Avocado in half, remove the pit, scoop out the insides and place in a bowl. Using a fork smash the avocado into a spread. Make it as chuncky or thin as you and your family prefer.
- Slice the Ciabatta Rolls lengthwise and lightly butter the inside. Set aside till ready to put the sandwich together.
- Cook ham or bacon according to package directions. If using lunchmeat slices of ham, warm in the saute pan you will cook the eggs in. Keep meat warm, till ready to assemble the sandwich.
- Preheat the saute pan, place a pat of butter in the pan coating the bottom. Crack the eggs (cook 2 at a time) into the pan and cook until set. (This sandwich is good with the eggs scrambled, fried (with a runny yolk), or fried (with a cooked yolk.)
- Remove eggs to plate and keep warm while cooking the remaining eggs.
- Place the Ciabatta Rolls, cut and buttered side down into the saute pan and lightly brown the inside.
- Remove the Rolls to plates and cover with Avocado Spread.
- Top the spread with cheese, ham/bacon, and eggs.
- Close the Roll and Cut and Half. Serve with a fruit salad for a complete meal.
To assemble your fruit salad use fruit that is in season. Some of my favorites are strawberries, blackberries, apples, grapefruit, and mango. Some other great options include tangerines, grapes, blueberries, and pears.
We hope that you enjoy this delicious Avocado and Egg Breakfast Sandwich. It is hearty enough that it also makes a wonderful lunch or dinner. Feel free to get creative and use your favorite breads or cheese to truly make it your own. Plus don’t forget to share your egg creations on Social Media with the hashtag #EggsareHealthy.