This post is sponsored by Mojhi via Fresh Press Media.
Tips for Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro
There are so many unique things to when visiting Africa but one of the most popular things to do for travel aficionados is climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. Mount Kilimanjaro is a dormant volcano located in Tanzania and is the highest mountain in Africa. The mountain is part of the Kilimanjaro National Park and is a major climbing destination. There are seven official climbing routes for ascending and descending. The routes are Lemosho, Machame, Marangu, Mweka, Rongai, Shira, and Umbwe. Most routes take an average of 5-7 days and choosing your route is an important part of your trip planning. To make the most of your trip and make sure you have the best experience climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, check out these tips we have gathered from past travelers and discover an easy way to book your vacation.
- Make sure you plan ahead for your climb by booking your excursion before you arrive in Africa. To help you find the best trip for you and your travel partners visit Mojhi.com . Mojhi allows you to tailor your trip by selecting your preferences including number of days on the mountain, group sizes, dates, budget/luxury options, meal preferences, and more. Once you submit your preferences they find the best quote and travel partner. You save hours and money on research and receive the best climbing experience possible.
- Make sure you have the right equipment. Consult your travel guide for the necessary equipment and be sure to follow their suggestions.
- Be physically prepared. Make sure your walk several times a week making sure to include uphill and downhill sections. Make sure you include extended walking sessions to get your body used to prolonged hiking.
- Pack a variety of seasonal clothing. While you are climbing Mount Kilimanjaro you will experience several different temperate climates and will need to be prepared for the changes. The best thing to do is dress in layers for easy removal or adding of extra clothes. You will also need to be prepared to stay in the same clothes for a few days.
Uhuru Peak Mt. Kilimanjaro By Chris 73 / Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1792667
- Along with the variety of clothing pieces, you will want to make sure your clothes are made of a fabric that is breathable and wicks moisture away. Cotton is not a good choice as it will not dry fast at high altitudes and can cause chafing. Choose waterproof boots and make sure to break them in ahead of your trip.
- Make sure to consider all the food options when planning your trip. You may find that a hot meal is worth the extra money because it will help you relax and stay warm on the cold days.
- Remember that climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is a marathon not a sprint. Do not worry about winning the race but instead focus on going slow and steady. It takes times to acclimate to the altitude changes and lack of oxygen so you will want to make sure you give your body time to adjust.
- Take in the scenery around you and don’t worry about the campsite/end goal or you will miss out on the things right in front of you. Bring a camera that is easily accessible to document your journey. If you want to write about your trip bring a journal to write in each night so you don’t forget any of the details.
- Plan ahead for headaches and make sure you adequately hydrate yourself. Some experts recommend at least 5 liters of water daily. You can also use over the counter altitude sickness medication but make sure to increase your water intake as they can be a diuretic.
- Enjoy yourself. Don’t forget that you are on a vacation and supposed to be having fun. Don’t get too caught up in what you expected the trip to be and be willing to go along with the adventure. Things may be different than what you are used to when visiting other locations but be willing to try new experiences .
These tips will help make sure that your trip climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is the best experience possible. Make sure to plan ahead by selecting the trip options that best fit you and your travel group. Booking your trip with Mojhi allows you to easily customize your Mount Kilimanjaro climb and they even can help you plan your other adventures in Africa and Asia.
To book your trip to Africa & experience climbing Mount Kilimanjaro visit Mojhi online.
For more information you can follow along online.