Simple Ways to Get Fruits & Vegetables in Your Child’s Diet
As parents, we often struggle with getting our child/children to eat more fruits and vegetables. They are an important part of any child’s diet but once they are old enough to turn down food, it can get harder to get them to eat the things that are important for proper nutrition. If you are struggling with getting your child to eat enough fruits and vegetables, check out these simple ways to help get these foods into their diet.
- Model Good Eating Habits – Children like to eat the food that the adults around them are eating. By eating a balanced diet with fruits and vegetables you are establishing good eating habits for them. They will also want to try the foods you are eating and this helps to further expand their palate.
- Offer a Variety of Options – Fruits and Vegetables do not have to be boring and by offering a variety of choices, there is bound to be something that they will like. You can also make them fun by cutting them into different shapes or serving them up in a fun and creative way.
- Offer the Same Item Several Times – It can take several times trying an item before a child decides that they like it. Do not be discouraged if they don’t like something the first time. Wait a week or two and reintroduce the food in a new way.
- Offer as Snacks – If a child is hungry and knows there are no other options, they are more likely to eat fruits and vegetables. Offer these as snacks instead of other foods. You can even make them a special snack by serving them with dips or spreads.
- Fruit & Veggie Pouches – These come in a variety of options and are a simple way for little ones to enjoy fruits and vegetables at home or on the go. My niece is in love with her pouches and will ask for them several times a day. Yummy Spoonfuls, an organic baby food company I recently discovered, offer veggie fruit blends in pouches. These blends help you “sneak” veggies into their diet.
I recently discovered an organic baby food that also offers a wide variety of fruit & veggie pouch options.Yummy Spoonfuls offers three stages of baby food that is made from fresh organic ingredients. It is made in small batches and then quickly frozen to preserve the flavor and nutrients in the food. They do not use any preservatives or additives, including coloring agents in the production of their food. There is also no added sugar or salt which is great when you are considering the needs of your child’s diet. They rely on the natural sweetness of the fruits and savoriness of the vegetables to provide flavor.
Yummy Spoonfuls is available in the frozen kid’s section at Target Stores. It is kept frozen because of the lack of preservatives. To feed your child, simply place in the refrigerator over night or warm in a bowl of hot water. Unscrew the lid as in any food pouch and serve.
Head on over to Yummy Spoonfuls, to discover all the flavors and options available.
We would love to hear how you more fruits and vegetables in your child’s diet. Share your tips and tricks in the comment section below.