Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
One of my favorite things growing up was visiting the many cider mills in our area. Not only is there nothing like a fresh glass of apple cider but you need one or two fresh cinnamon and sugar donuts to create the perfect combination.
Just thinking about these delicious donuts makes my mouth water. Since relocating down south I missed having several cider mills within a 30 minute drive. Not only do I miss the cider but I miss the delicious donuts that would go with the cider.
Since we don’t have an abundance of cider mills I knew I had to do something to cure my craving and I did with these Cinnamon and Sugar Donut Muffins. They are the perfect replacement for the classic cider mill donuts and I don’t have to wait for cooler weather to get them.
I can snack on these bite sized muffins anytime of the year while enjoying my favorite activities with the family. They are fantastic dessert to take to potlucks, serve with your family’s brunch or as a treat after a hard week. I will warn you that they are addicting. So don’t blame me if you can’t eat just one.
Cinnamon and Sugar Donut Muffins Recipe
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 24 mini-muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup margarine, and nutmeg. Stir in the milk, then mix in the baking powder and flour until just combined.
- Fill the prepared mini muffin cups about half full and bake in the oven about 15-20 minutes, until the tops are light brown.
- While muffins are baking, combine the sugar and cinnamon for the topping together in a small bowl. When the muffins are done melt the remaining margarine.
- Remove muffins from their pan and carefully dip each muffin in the melted margarine. Roll each muffin through the cinnamon-sugar mixture and set a plate to cool. Serve warm or cooled. **See Tip section below**
I hope you enjoy these Cinnamon and Sugar Donut Muffins as much as my friends and family. I highly recommend making an extra batch if you are expecting company because these didn’t even last 2 hours the last time I made them.
Tip #1: Out of All Purpose Flour, substitute Self-Rising Flour but make sure to OMIT the baking powder from the recipe.
Tip #2: To cut down on calories and sugar – only dip the top half of the muffins in the melted margarine and cinnamon-sugar mixture.
This recipe was featured in our 12 Days of Sweet Summer Treats. You can check out all the rest of the recipes in the linky below.