10 Vacuum Cleaning Tips For Your Floors
Ask anyone with kids and/or pets and they will tell you that they are constantly vacuuming their floors. It doesn’t matter if you take your shoes off at the front door, have dogs that clean up after the kids eat meals, or are gone during the day, the floors always seems to need to be vacuumed. I have a combination of carpet, ceramic tile, and laminate wood flooring. Years ago I would have used several different devices to clean my floors but now I clean them all using my Shark Rocket Complete with DuoClean Technology. I have been using Shark Rocket vacuums for over 5 years and love how easy they are to transition from carpet to tile and even to laminate floors. I don’t think I could ever go back to a vacuum that wasn’t a Shark. I have even converted my sister and my mother over the years. Now that I can vacuum all my surfaces, getting my floors done is an easier task and with the help of these 10 vacuum cleaning tips, I spend less time cleaning which means I have more to do the things I enjoy.
Vacuum Cleaning Tips
- Remove Shoes at the Door. I know many people don’t like to do this but it helps stop the tracking of dirt and debris into the house. Plus you are not only tracking in dirt on the soles of your shoes but germs from everywhere you have walked. Keep a mat by the door to place your shoes when you get home. To avoid an overflow of shoes, set a house rule of no more than 1 or 2 pairs of shoes by the door per person. If you don’t want to be barefoot, pick up a pair of slippers that you only wear in the house.
- Vacuum High Traffic Areas More Than Once. Even the best vacuums do not get everything on the first pass. The Shark Rocket Complete has two brushrolls to pick up both large and small particles on all surfaces and will even pull up fine dirt from carpet. When I make that second pass on heavy traffic areas I know that it is getting the floor as clean as possible. This is extremely helpful for those with allergies as well as pet owners. An easy way to do this is to start vacuuming in a room starting with the high traffic area and work your way across the room and then vacuum your way back out. That way you are hitting the high traffic areas at least twice.
- Change the Bag/Empty the Canister Frequently. I cannot emphasize how important it is to have a clean bag or canister. If the bag or canister is full then the vacuum has no where to put the items it is sucking up. The hoses could become clogged and you are essentially wasting your time vacuuming. If you have a canister it is easy to see when it needs to be emptied so make sure you are being mindful. You may find you need to empty it out mid-vacuuming. If you have a bagged vacuum, change the bag when it is 3/4 of the way full. Make it a point to check the bag before you start to vacuum.
- Move Furniture/Appliances Occasionally. The Shark Rocket comes with a wide range of accessories which make cleaning under the furniture and appliances easier but from time to time it is important to move those large pieces out of the way and do a full vacuuming under them. There is usually always something that gets missed or stuck in an odd spot that couldn’t be reached.
- Choose the Right Setting. Depending on the vacuum you have you will want to make sure that you are choosing the right setting for the type of flooring you are vacuuming. With the Shark Rocket with DuoClean Technology, it automatically transitions from floors to carpets. However, if you have a standard upright vacuum you will want to make sure that you are using the right height setting for the best clean.
- Don’t Forget the Hard to Clean/Reach Areas. Just as the floors are important to keep clean so are the stairs and closets that we use daily. If you cannot easily clean them with your vacuum cleaner, use your attachments to make sure that you clean them at least once a week. These are areas that get a lot of traffic and can easily track dirt into other areas of the house. If you have the attachments out, you can also use them to clean cobwebs or dust bunnies hiding in the corners.
- Dust Before You Vacuum. The first thing I taught my daughter was to start up high. There is nothing more disappointing than to clean a bottom shelf before you clean the stuff above it and then have to re-clean that bottom shelf. That is the same with your floor. Make sure to dust off ceiling fans, shelves, lights, etc. before you vacuum. Any dust that the rag or duster did not capture will settle on the ground and you will get it with the vacuum.
- Deep Clean Floors. Besides vacuuming your floors you also want to make sure that you deep clean regularly. How often depends on the flooring. Carpets should be shampooed (professionally or DIY) twice a year to keep them in good shape. Other hard surfaces should be kept clean of spills and messes as they occur and cleaned as needed.
- Pay Attention When Vacuuming Rugs. Be careful when vacuuming rugs that you are not fraying the edges or wearing down the backing of the rug by sucking it up in the beater bar. Focus on the middle of the rug and be careful around the edges. If you find it hard to vacuum a rug you can always clean it with the attachments.
- Create a Schedule. Set a day or days to vacuum the house. Maybe focus on high traffic areas 2 or 3 times during the week and do a quick once over on the weekend of the less trafficked areas. Find a system that works and stick with it. That way you won’t discover that it has been several weeks since you last pulled out the vacuum. By having a schedule you will keep the dirt under control and it won’t take as much time when you vacuum to get the job done.
Now that you have these 10 Tips for Vacuum Cleaning your Floors I want to share just a little more information about the Shark Rocket Complete with DuoClean Technology. It is a light, upright vacuum that packs a powerful cleaning punch in a small space. One of my favorite features is the built in LED lights. These are even on the removable handle so I can see when using the attachments under the couch or in dark spaces. It has swivel steering which allows for easy navigation around furniture, corners, and even pets that won’t move. Plus with the included attachments, it is easy to clean vents, ceiling fans, baseboards, and under furniture. It weighs right around 10 pounds so it is easy to push and is not heavy if you have to carry it up stairs.
You can find out more information about the Shark Rocket Complete with DuoClean Technology and other Shark Vacuums by visiting SharkClean.